This is a work in progress, an attempt to use the label system to identify, describe, and sort the Catholic churches in Brooklyn, New York. To speed your search, please use the search box at top left, or peruse the labels on the right. Because newer posts are placed on top, a blog resembles a diary in reverse. Do not neglect the "Older posts" link at the bottom of each page. In many cases, clicking on a photo will enlarge it.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
St. Martin of Tours, Bushwick
St. Martin of Tours church faces Weirfield Street and Irving Square. Knickerbocker Avenue with the parish school is at the right. Most hours, the church gates are padlocked. The inscription above the pillars reads, "Ecclesia Sancti Martini Turonensis." St. Martin lived from about 316 to 397. Martin was bishop of the diocese of Tours, France. He did not get along well with St. Brice, who succeeded him.
The rectory is at 1288 Hancock Street, Brooklyn, NY 11221, just south of Knickerbocker Avenue. The phone number is 718-443-8484. This parish includes the closed parish of Fourteen Holy Martyrs. The rectory also serves as rectory for the parish of Our Lady of Lourdes. ---- The website of the combined parish is linked here, and it includes the Mass schedule at St. Martin of Tours church and Our Lady of Lourdes chapel.
Above is the former parish school at 751 Knickerbocker Avenue. Some years ago, the school was renamed St. Elizabeth Seton Parish School. In early 2009, Bishop DiMarzio threatened to close the school, but later allowed it to accept new students. The Brooklyn Tablet of 5.5.2010 announced that the school, with an enrollment of 180, would close in June, 2010. ----
For years, the Sisters of St. Joseph provided staff for this school. The above photos are from 2009.