This is a work in progress, an attempt to use the label system to identify, describe, and sort the Catholic churches in Brooklyn, New York. To speed your search, please use the search box at top left, or peruse the labels on the right. Because newer posts are placed on top, a blog resembles a diary in reverse. Do not neglect the "Older posts" link at the bottom of each page. In many cases, clicking on a photo will enlarge it.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Sacred Hearts and St Stephen, Carroll Gardens
The above photo was taken from a Staten Island ferry in June, 2014, minus the scaffolding seen in the 2009 photos below. Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it.
The postal address for the parish of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary and St. Stephen is 108 Carroll Street, Brooklyn NY 11231, telephone 718-596-7750. The parish website is linked here. The above view looks east across the canyon of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, Interstate 278.
The above view looks north on Hicks Street, with the church at the corner of Summit Street. The rectory is on Carroll Street, behind the church. Patrick Charles Keely designed St. Stephen's church. In 1941, the planned construction of the expressway caused the loss of the newer church of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, and that parish was merged with St. Stephen's. Please see the date December 7, 1941, in the parish history, linked here.
Summit Street bears an alternate name, Monsignor Del Vecchio Place. Francis Del Vecchio was pastor from about 1950 until 1986. See a biographical obituary here.
For decades, the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, founded by St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, staffed the parish school.