Thursday, August 28, 2008

Holy Family, 14th Street, Park Slope



The parish of Holy Family was established in 1880 for German Catholics, the same year that another Holy Family parish was established on Flatlands Avenue, Canarsie! A third Holy Family parish was established for Slovaks in 1905 in Greenpoint. The parish school here closed in 1978. The church in the photo was built in 1928.






Please click on the word Comments above the photo for interesting memories.
-----
Holy Family parish, 14th Street, has been merged with that of St. Thomas Aquinas, 9th Street, under one pastor. The website for the merged parish is linked here and a parish blog is linked here. Neither location offers a parish elementary school. It seems that Mass is offered at Holy Family once a week, 9 a.m. Sundays.

5 comments:

  1. This was my wife's parish in the 1940s-60s. Her family lived a blook up the street above 5th Avenue. She attended the parish school, as did her three brothers, as did her grandfather! A lifetime later she is a grandparent herself here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, thanks for posting this entry and photo. It's the only photo we have of my wife's old family parish church. Are there any photos of the beautiful interior?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your wife remember Father Fannon, Father Kelly and Father Benotz ?? Wow, I think I'm going way back....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember them.Is this the Jim Finley from the flats on 12th street.My name is Richie Auletti,my family lived at 160-12th street

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attended Holy Family school, 1st thru 8th grade and Holy Family Church
    I do remember Father Benotz and Father Fannon

    ReplyDelete