This is a work in progress, an attempt to use the label system to identify, describe, and sort the Catholic churches in Brooklyn, New York. To speed your search, please use the search box at top left, or peruse the labels on the right. Because newer posts are placed on top, a blog resembles a diary in reverse. Do not neglect the "Older posts" link at the bottom of each page. In many cases, clicking on a photo will enlarge it.
The above view looks north on residential Hendrickson Street. On the left is the rectory, the church, and a convent. Click on any photo to enlarge it.
A few days before the start of school, a new sign shows that Midwood Catholic Academy has moved to the former St. Thomas Aquinas school at 1501 Hendrickson St., Brooklyn NY 11234.
The address of St. Thomas Aquinas parish is 1550 Hendrickson Street, Brooklyn NY 11234, telephone 718-253-4404. Some parish buildings stand on the southwest side of Flatbush Avenue and Flatlands Avenue, but the nearby rectory, church, and school line Hendrickson Street, on which traffic moves northbound from Avenue P to Flatlands Avenue. Hendrickson Street is parallel to Flatbush Avenue, a short block west of Flatbush Avenue. The parish website states that the parish offices will move out of the rectory to a building on Flatbush Avenue, but that the mailing address will remain.
The website of St. Thomas Aquinas parish is linked here.
There are two parishes in Brooklyn named St. Thomas Aquinas. This parish was established in 1885, before the City of Brooklyn included Flatlands.
Above is the old church on Flatbush Avenue.
To the right of the church is a convent for contemplative Sisters in the former convent of the Sisters of Mercy.