Monday, June 29, 2009

Parish schools that have closed

In my visit to Sunset Park in 2009, I did not get to Seventh Avenue and the parish and school of St. Agatha. What surprised me at St. Rocco, St. Michael, and Our Lady of Czestochowa was that I found three adjacent parishes without schools. By checking the diocesan website, I count about forty open parish schools with Brooklyn zip codes. At a now-unavailable page of the diocesan website, I came across a list of about 63 parish schools in Brooklyn that have closed. To avoid double-counting, I have attempted to exclude from that number schools that still exist as merged and schools that were closed in sequence. ("Unavailable page" as of 2012.)
-----
It would appear that the following ten zip codes lack a Catholic elementary school: 11201-Main (0 of 6 parishes); 11212-Brownsville (0 of 1 parish); 11216-Brevoort (0 of 1 parish); 11217-TimesPlaza (0 of 1 parish); 11219 (0 of 2 parishes); 11224-ConeyIsland (0 of 1 parish); 11230-Midwood (0 of 1 parish); 11231-RedHook (0 of 5 parishes); 11232-BushTerminal (0 of 3 parishes); 11238-Adelphi (0 of 3 parishes).  (This 2009 analysis deserves editing, as more schools have been closed and the switch to "Catholic academies" is only about half complete in October, 2012.)
----
This official website lists the open Catholic elementary schools and academies of Brooklyn.

3 comments:

  1. I am a graduate of Nativity of our Blessed Lord. I graduated in 1971 and some of my greatest memories were from the time I went to school there. I taxed poor Sister Frances and wish I could apologize and let her know that I tried to emulate her and make a difference. I understand that the church closed in 1973. Such a shame. It was a beautiful church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne,
    My name is Clement Demmitt. I also went to that school. Check me out on facebook. I know some other people that have attended as well and I started a small group. Just search my name on Google or facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a facebook group for Nativity of Our Blessed Lord graduates. I Graduated in 1965. My name is William Brehm.

      Delete