The church was built in 1888, under the design of the Profitt brothers.
Tragically, on December 16, 1960, teachers and students saw an airliner descend along Stirling Place (left to right in this photo) before it crashed near Seventh Avenue.
From the 1930's until the 1970's, De La Salle Christian Brothers lived in the building where the bay window indicates their chapel. They taught at St. Augustine's Diocesan High School, now housing a public middle school. Both the Brothers and the high school used the address 64 Park Place. A link to that school's alumni organization is here. One alumnus of the school was Governor Hugh Carey.
Before the Brothers moved here from St. James Cathedral School in the 1930's, the house was the Sisters' convent. They moved across the street to the corner of Park Place and Sixth Avenue.