This is a work in progress, an attempt to use the label system to identify, describe, and sort the Catholic churches in Brooklyn, New York. To speed your search, please use the search box at top left, or peruse the labels on the right. Because newer posts are placed on top, a blog resembles a diary in reverse. Do not neglect the "Older posts" link at the bottom of each page. In many cases, clicking on a photo will enlarge it.
Saturday, April 30, 2011
St. Mark, Sheepshead Bay
A quarter-mile north of the wharves of Sheepshead Bay, on Ocean Avenue from Jerome Avenue to Avenue Z, is the church of St. Mark, with a campanile benefiting its name. The parish address is 2609 East 19th Street, Brooklyn NY 11235, telephone 718-891-3100, website linked here.
A better photo is on Flickr, linked here.
Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it. The parish school is located at 2602 East 19th Street, Brooklyn NY 11235, telephone 1-718-332-9304.
Rarely do Brooklyn parishes take up a full square block, but St. Mark's parish fills another block west with school, auditorium, and parking. This view looks west on Avenue Z towards the Sheepshead Bay subway station, and, further west, to the site of the parish's first two churches, each wooden and each unfortunately destroyed by fire (1891, 1929). A photo of the second church on the southeast corner of Sheepshead Bay Road and East 14th Street (west of the Brighton Line) is here on the parish website.
Brian Merlis, who has written numerous interesting books on Brooklyn history, treats of St. Mark's parish in his volume titled "Brooklyn's Gold Coast: The Sheepshead Bay Communities."