This is a work in progress, an attempt to use the label system to identify, describe, and sort the Catholic churches in Brooklyn, New York. To speed your search, please use the search box at top left, or peruse the labels on the right. Because newer posts are placed on top, a blog resembles a diary in reverse. Do not neglect the "Older posts" link at the bottom of each page. In many cases, clicking on a photo will enlarge it.
St. Fortunata church stands on Crescent Street at the intersection with Linden Boulevard. Its postal address is 2609 Linden Boulevard, Brooklyn NY 11208, telephone 718-647-2632. The large school buildings take up much of the block to the east, but they now house a charter school. St. Fortunata parish was established in 1934, and the school closed in 2008. On January 31, 2013, the pastor here also became administrator of St. Sylvester parish, a mile north. --- The parish website is linked HERE.
The diocesan Tablet has published a supplement for Catholic Schools Week, linked here. It provides descriptions of ten elementary schools and one high school in the borough of Brooklyn. These include: Holy Angels, Bay Ridge. St. Anselm, Bay Ridge. St. Bernadette, Dyker Heights. St. Ephrem, Dyker Heights. St. Francis Xavier, Park Slope. Salve Regina, East New York. St. Francis of Assisi, Nostrand Avenue, Flatbush. St. Mark, Sheepshead Bay. Queen of the Rosary, Williamsburg. St. Bernard, Mill Basin. ---- A more complete list of Catholic elementary schools in Brooklyn may be found here.
The parish of Our Lady of Good Counsel is located at 915 Putnam Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11221, telephone 718-443-7211. The bishop has merged this parish with that of St. John the Baptist, a mile away on Lewis Avenue, and one pastor serves both churches. The above Mass schedule was photographed on Our Lady of Good Counsel church during January, 2013.
The website of the combined parishes is linked here. However, as the website still lists the parish school as open, other information, such as office hours, may also be out of date. The elementary school closed a few years ago. The diocesan website gives St. John the Baptist's phone number as 718-455-6864.
Along the north side of Putnam Avenue is the church, a garden (with a statue of Mary and an Ankh) and the parish office. Behind the garden can be seen a parish building that faces Madison Street.
The above photos show the north side of Putnam Avenue.
The photos below show the south side of Madison Street, that is, behind the church.
At 800 Madison Street, a new corridor connects what appears to be two former elementary schools of the parish. The building to the left (east) shows the date 1893. I could not find a construction date on the building to the right. Presumably a convent was someplace here. Present use of the building is for some 70 apartments of "single room occupancy" with permanent tenants, possibly under the management of a division of Catholic Charities.
Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it.
The property of this parish lies mid-block between Ralph Avenue and Patchen Avenue, named after Ralph Patchen, a farmer who owned 150 acres closer to the waterfront in the early 1800's.